Position based in: Nairobi, Kenya
Contract: Start with one year fixed-term subject for extension
About the Position:
The primary responsibility will be to participate in the creation of new products and enhancements to existing products from concept to launch as part of a cross-functional project team. The Senior Software Developer’s responsibility is to design, implement, and test solutions that result in compelling, easy to use products. Senior Software Developer will also be responsible for a demanding and rewarding variety of duties related to the development, enhancement and delivery of CarePay’s leading products.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
· Analysing user requirements, researching, designing and writing new software programs;
· Develop software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
· Determine operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
· Documenting and demonstrating solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
· Responding promptly and professionally to bug reports.
· Improve operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
· Obtains and licenses software by obtaining required information from vendors; recommending purchases; testing and approving products
· Evaluating the software and systems that make computers and hardware work;
· Creating technical specifications and test plans;
· Writing operational documentation with technical authors;
· Maintaining systems by monitoring and correcting software defects;
· Working closely with other staff, such as project managers, graphic artists, designers, developers, systems analysts, and sales and marketing professionals;
· Consulting clients and colleagues concerning the maintenance and performance of software systems and with a view to writing or modifying current operating systems;
· Protect operations by keeping information confidential.
· Preparation of training manuals and training users
· Handling support and feedback
· Maintaining the systems once they are up and running
· Degree qualifications in Information Technology, Computer Science, software engineering, or related field.
Required Knowledge & Experience:
· Degree qualifications in Information Technology, Computer Science, software engineering, or related field
· Knowledge in Software Development Fundamentals, Software Development Process, Software Requirements.
· Knowledge of release management tools
· More than 5 years of work experience in an active senior software development position
· Track record of enterprise applications
· Experience and knowledge in software development lifecycle
· IT Project management experience
· Training focused on system architecture, Software Design, Software Debugging, Software Documentation, and Software Testing.
· Extensive experience in cloud based scalable application deployment and maintenance. Knowledge in Amazon/IBM cloud tools will be an added advantage.
· Expertise in at least three (3) RDMS (Relational Database Management System) and two (2) NoSQL database system.
· Good knowledge of software and programming languages with ability to use professionally at least two or more development language (JAVA, Python, PHP, HTML5). Primary language being JAVA.
· Knowledge on Android, IOS or C# will be added advantage.
Skills and Personal Attributes:
· Excellent IT and programming skills
· Clean code writing and software documentation preparation
· Strong in numerical and analytical skills
· Have creative approach to problem-solving
· Excellent organizational, and project management skills
· Ability to work to another’s design and specification
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Eye for detail
· Ability to interpret and follow technical plans
· Supervisory role – ability to manage a team
· Team working skills with ability to work with people at all levels, including non-technical staff
· Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
· Training and presentation skills
· Be self-motivated and a quick learner
· Discretion in handling confidential information.
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, professionalism, and a commitment to CarePay’s mission.
If you meet the requirements of this position, apply by sending a Cover Letter explaining briefly how you meet the criteria for the position and updated CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the position in the email subject matter.
The deadline for application is 25th April 2017.